Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 13 yr old has cobblestone throat. She has had it for a…

Customer Question
My 13 yr old...

My 13 yr old has cobblestone throat. She has had it for a year. We first took her to the doctor the did a strep test and gave her Zyrtec (SP) to take everyday yet here we are a year later with no improvement. Is there something I am missing?

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

It bothers her

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not sure what you mean

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What do you exactly mean by the cobblestone throat?

Has he change in voice, pain in throat, cough?

Pain and red bumpy looking throat
DR dxed cobblestone throat

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This is likely to be due to acid reflux.

Following investigations may be able to confirm it;

1) Barium esophagography

2) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring

3) Upper GI endoscopy.

Following measures are helpful:

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

5) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

6) Avoid tight clothing.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

No she isn't over weight. She is 5'5 and only weighs 90 lbs . She already eats 6 small meals a day

You may consider consulting a gastroenterologist for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or reflux laryngitis.

It is privilege assisting you.