Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there a link between sensorineural hearing loss and

Customer Question
Is there a link...

Is there a link between sensorineural hearing loss and dementia?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I'm not taking any medications. I don't have dementia. I have a hearing loss ( totally deaf in one ear since I was a baby and a high frequency loss in myright ear) because I had meningitis as a baby. I was on tegrotol as a child but was weaned off it. I just want to know if I would be more at risk for dementia later..Im Not sure if you would know.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I kept audiograms from childhood but haven't had a hearing test since I was a child. Nothing seemed to have changed. Do you think it is worth having another hearing test now as an adult?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have experienced bone conduction 8 years ago which was actually a misdiagnosed Urinary Tract Infection that was almost septic but was diagnosed as a psychotic episode .Later they said that sometimes UTI's can cause disturbances. I'm a bit concerned that I could experience bone conduction again. If I did experience bone conduction would it harm my good ear?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned whether sensorineural hearing loss is linked to dementia. As a neurologist I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Please see, sensorineural hearing loss in your case is not expected to be linked to any kind of dementias

While there are some examples of such association but those are different cases and different situations, and your case is different from yours

In your case the sensorineural hearing loss was secondary to meningitis and this is unlikely going to cause or link with any dementias

I see you have not had any hearing tests/audiogram done during adulthood, so you may try get hearing tests/audiogram done now

And to your question “if I did experience bone conduction would it harm my good ear” the answer is No, this is not going to affect the hearing of the other normal ear. If at all the hearing may become more sharp in the other healthy ear to compensate for the loss of hearing in the affected ear but the other ear (the healthy ear) is not going to suffer due to the damage to one ear – if that is what you meant in your question. If not please clarify on this and we can discuss this further.

And to your question on the hereditary risk, please see the type of hearing loss you have sustained is not genetic in nature and it is purely acquired due to meningitis and this type of deafness or sensorineural hearing loss is not going to affect your kids, because this is not hereditary in nature.

Once again, please see the type of sensorineural hearing loss you are having is unlikely to be linked to any type of dementias, and also your kids are unlikely to develop this hearing loss because this is not considered as an inherited or hereditary type of healing loss, so they will be fully safe, and also you are unlikely going to develop dementias as mentioned above, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss your health concerns further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD