Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need to talk to a gastronoligist. I had my colon and

Customer Question
Hello my name is***** need...
Hello my name is***** need to talk to a gastronoligist. I had my colon and rectum removed in 1990. About 10 months ago I started having pressure in my rectum area. I had a CT scan and my dr said I had no internal hemmroids and my small intestine looked great. So I went to a spine dr because my tailbone is bent forward. He did a MRI and said that my tailbone is not causing my rectum pain. Could I have scar tissue in the area where the rectum was removed and that's causing what's causing my pain and if so can it be removed.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/23/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Scar tissue is possible but rarely 10 years out do I see sudden problems. Did the rectal exam show anything? Could it be at all gynecological related or is it definitely in the rectal area?

WHat does it feel like?

How frequently do you experience it?

I have it 24 hours a day. It feels like I need to take a BIG poo and I can't. It's very painful?
The concern I would have is a possible infection or colitis. Possibly a fistula but I doubt it. The next step is a colonoscopy. When the CT was negative then the next step should have been a colonoscopy.
What was the reason for the initial colon resection?
I have no colon or rectum to do a colonoscopy!!
I had ulcerative colitis!

I use the term colonoscopy as a layperson term. I realize that you don't have a large intestine, however an endoscopy is still warranted in your case and would be something we'd do. Any direct visualization of the lower part of the intestine is generally referred to as colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy and anything from above is called an endoscopy and I didn't mean to confuse you with the term.

Terminology aside, what were your doctors planning on doing next, hopefully not just waiting to see how the symptoms progress?

You got me, they keep passing me from dr to dr. My gastronoligy dr is supposed to get my MRI and report from the spine dr and call me in Monday, but I'm not getting my hopes up because I have a feeling he's gonna say there's nothing her can do. How can they do any kind of scope thing if I have no rectum. Do they go up thru the vagina?

Was the MRI done mostly for spinal issues? If so, they didn't use the right kind of MRI with the right kind of contrast which means it likely wouldn't light up the pelvic area or the terminal small intestine. Interesting.

I am sure your GI doc will be able to guide you in the right direction.

Did someone even do an exam on you?? I'm worried they are kinda passing things along and not really paying attention to you, what gives?

I did not drink contrast for the MRI, and I know it did get my pelvic region, I don't know if it got my rectum though. I do know that the Ct scan he did back in may was with contrast and it did show the rectum area because the dr said he was looking for internal hemmriods that he said I didn't have. So I honestly don't know what's going to happen next. I just know that this pressure I'm feeling is going to be the death of me. It's hard to handle this pain day in and day out and the drs seeming not to care. I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

Did they see any scar tissue that could potentially explain the pain you're having? If the pain wasn't so severe then I would say, yes, possibly scar tissue but I would want to know for sure. Again, I doubt the MRI got everything. We'll see what you GI says.

Other things to consider when I was researching the topic would be adhesions, pelvic congestion syndrome, and radiating pain from the L5-S1. The latter would be something along the lines of cutaneous nerve entrapment. Bring these up to your doctor. I wish I could tell you what's going on over the virtual interaction but without having all the facts in front of me and having examined you thoroughly it's hard to tell. Also, I mentioned a fistula a while back, please add that to the list. Have you had a gyn exam done recently?

I had a ultra sound and X-rays done on my kidneys and bladder about a week ago for kidney stones which came back negative. I go to a pain clinic for back arthritis that I've had for about 15 years, that's the dr that did the steroid shot in my tailbone area but it didn't help the rectum pain at all.

Is there any pain when you sit? As in, is the rectal pain worse when you put pressure on it through sitting or when you touch the area?

It's worse when I sit or lay down. When I'm up and moving around it's not as worse.

Interesting because that makes me a little more suspicious of either the pelvic congestion disorder that I mentioned or actually back to something related to the spine. Nothing dangerous likely but still worth investigating which I'm guessing your Physical Medicine & Rehab (PM&R) doctor has done.

I haven't been to a PM&R yet. Don't even know what that is. I've seen a massage therapist that's been doing internal manipulation of the tailbone and the scar tissue around it.
It's not the pelvic thing your talking about. That had to do with vercose veins in your abdomin area or around your overies. I had a complete hysterectomy a long time ago. I don't have much in me anymore. Just kidneys, liver, gallbladder, part of small intestines and stomach, well I'm sure there's more but not much

Good to know. One more thing we can rule out.

All I know is that I did get a little relief after the massage therapist worked on the scar tissue around my tailbone. It is bent forward and she says the scar tissue is keeping it from moving. But the spine dr was positive the tailbone had nothing to do with the pressure I'm feeling.

Do you agree with the spine doctor? I would get a second opinion, it seems like it might just be the tailbone portion of the spine. It's worse when sitting like you said. Is it worse if you push on the tailbone with your fingers?

I do plan on getting a second opinion with another spine dr and I have another app with the massage therapist. If I push up on the tailbone I don't feel the pressure get worse but I feel soreness on the tailbone

Interesting. Don't know what to make of it. Could be still tailbone related if the pressure has to be more axial. Not my expertise but hope another doctor can relate.

Thanks for your responses, hopefully someone will figure it all out. I just wanted it done by the end of the year because my out of pocket expenses have been met so everything from on till end of year is covered at 100% by my insurance.
I'm sure it'll get figured out. You are getting close. It's a matter of ruling a few things out and then the diagnosis of exclusion should be clear.
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD