Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was reading the symtoms of hypogonadism, I was 43 at the…

Customer Question
I was reading the...

I was reading the symtoms of hypogonadism, I was 43 at the time and I was experiencing most of those symtoms of hypogonadism, so I went to the doctor to get tested, she said she had to check my testosterone level by taking my blood, so two weeks later she mailed a letter to me saying my testosterone was in normal range, but when I ordered copies of my full medical records, paid money for it my medical records says that I was diagnosed with Primary Testicular hypofunction 257.2. So my question is why didn't my doctor tell me that I had Primary Testicular hypofunction?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Yes I would like an answer ad soon as possible

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

are you able to upload a copy of the labs?

No but I can type it out word for word
Heres how my medical record reads:
Mapped from KBM Chronic Conditions table on 3/22/2014, using an automated IMO mapping process executed by TRINITY-HEALTH\manleyja. The mapped diagnosis was TESTICULAR HYPOFUNC NEC. 257.2. added by Beatrice Rissi, with responsibe provider Jean E. McKee MD. Onset date 1/24/2012; last adressed on 7/24/2012; Intersex, hermaphrodite?Thats what my record says.

*** If you do post medical information, please remove any identifying information such as name, date of birth, address, social security number or medical record numbers ***

That's somewhat helpful, but do you also have a copy of the visit note as well?

Often times for insurance to pay for a specific blood test, the test has to be linked to a specific diagnosis or symptom that the insurance company has pre-determined. Testosterone is one of those tests that typically requires a specific diagnosis (i.e., we cant order as a routine physical check up panel and expect the insurance company to pay for it).

So it looks like the physician linked the order for the testosterone blood test to the "TESTICULAR HYPOFUNC NEC. 257.2" diagnosis so that the lab would accept the order and be able to bill the insurance company (and not you instead).

But it would be helpful to look at the office note as well to see how the doctor wrote up their note as well.

The other issue that may have occurred, but I cant say for certain, is that in some electronic medical records (EMR), the diagnosis that also shows up on the physician ordering screen is not the same as the diagnosis in the EMR database that the order gets linked to.

I've worked on EMR systems where the diagnosis I would see would be something like "Low testosterone" since that is usually a quicker way to search through the 10,000+ list of diagnoses in the database, but on the computer system, it links to the actual ICD-9 or ICD-10 code that the insurance companies use (in this case, the 257.2 code is ICD-9).

Thats the only notes from the Doctor, now I think because my testosterone was a low-normal range, normal range but a low-normal range, or maybe they found something in my genes through the blood test is why she probably diagnosed me with testicular hypofunction, you think so?
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD