Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was in 7 car accidents-none my fault but have been in pain…

Customer Question
I was in 7...

I was in 7 car accidents-none my fault but have been in pain for more than 25 years. Done all kinds of test and alt treatment. Opiods to. I also have PSTD. My life is pain and my dr just will not treat it effectively

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

My back neck and shoulders were affected and moving too much or doing too much housework in one day. Short walks help

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

About 32 years ago I abused some OTC drugs

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

What all have you tried so far ?

codeine contin with oxydone for breakthrough pain. It helps but the dr is prescribing the oxcy at 1 twice a day. I have been on the codeine for over 10 years. For 10 years all kinds of NSAIDS were tried, physiotherapy, alternate therapy. Finally I could only tolerate opiods
Oh wait-the oxcy was twice and it should be three. Just because I can't work should not mean I should just be in pain.

You are very right. You can also try medications that help numb your pains by suppressing nerve sensitivity e.g pregabalin or gabapentin.

Continue the rest of medications as prescribed by your doctor.

Let me know if you need any further help.

I take HCTZ and Coversyl for high blood pressure and Cymbalta for depression. I could probably get in trouble just contacting you. Drs up here know it is very hard to get a dr and if you get a second opinion they drop you as a patient. I'm afraid I don't have mush hope

I can understand your frustration, however various combinations can be tried if single drug or a couple of drugs dont seem to be helping.

In your case i think there is room for adding gabapentin or pregabalin to your pain relief medication. It should help. But at the same time it can worsen the drowsiness esp while already being on opioids.

But can still give it a go.

Let me know if you require any further help