Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bad elbow pain and not sure who to see about it. I…

Customer Question
I have bad elbow...

I have bad elbow pain and not sure who to see about it. I think a cortizone shot would help

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling - pain came on gradually - got real bad and then started to get better but still hurts pretty bad...any movement hurts

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms may be due to tendinitis of elbow (Golfer's or Tennis' elbow).

The Golfer's elbow has the pain on the inner side of the bone on elbow (and its counterpart tennis elbow on the opposite end, both have same treatment) and has following advised for the treatment;

1) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Motrin / Advil for around 10-14 days.

2) Elbow brace

3) Physical therapy

4) Warm compresses

5) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

These are the initial modalities and if the pain does not respond than the further interventions would be required;

1) iontophoresis, phonophoresis

2) electrical stimulation

3) shock wave therapy

4) local steroid shots as you mentioned.

Read the resources;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/golfers-elbow/DS00713

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tennis-elbow/DS00469

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.