Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Every night I have a light nose bleed. What is the cause?

Customer Question
Every night I have...

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

Only a few nights. But I do have peripheral vascular disease and cancer.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

That's all.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

If you are taking aspirin, this can be the cause of nose bleed as it affects the bleeding time and clotting time.

An any cancer, coagulation profile changes a bit and that too may be the reason.

Avoid nose picking as it can dislodge the clot. If you have high blood pressure, that should be controlled. You would need following investigations to ascertain the cause of bleeding (for bleeding disorders);

1) platelet count,
2) bleeding time (BT),
3) prothrombin time (PT),
4) activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT),
5) thrombin time (TT)
6) peripheral blood smear,
7) platelet aggregation in response to ADP, epinephrine, collagen, and ristocetin;
8) platelet release assays,
9) coagulation factor assays,
10) assessment of factor XIII activity via clot solubility testing
11) Tests of fibrinolysis; measurement of fibrin split products and D-dimer levels.

If you are taking aspirin or any related products, you would need to stop them.

If there is a low platelet count or any bleeding disorder developing; this may be responsible for the bleeding. These are called as acquired coagulopathies or blood dyscrasias. Among the more common acquired coagulopathies are thrombocytopenia and liver disease. Following are the other causes;

1) Arteriosclerosis

2) Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia; this is recurrent bleeding from vascular anomalies.

3) Idiopathic causes: About 10% of people with epistaxis have no identifiable causes.

4) Sarcoidosis

5) bacterial or viral infection

6) Nasal septal abnormality.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl