Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

What is the treatment for gram positive cocci in clusters?

Gram positive cocci in clusters is usually an indication that you have staphylococcus in the culture. This is an organism which can cause a number of infections ranging from skin infections to pneumonia to bloodstream infections. Now this can be any one of the species of staphylococci, including the common types which are found normally on the surface of the skin such as epidermis and also the virulent species namely S.Aureus.

Now the common antibiotics which are used here include:

Amoxicillin/clavunate

Oxacillin

Methicillin

Naficillin

Now if this is a subspecies like MRSA then the antibiotics would change to,

Vancomycin

Linezolid

trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole

Clindamycin

Daptomycin

Read full interaction below »

What is the treatment for gram positive cocci in clusters? I was diagnosed in the ER and have not been given any medicine. I have feet and legs that are red, swollen and extremely itchy. I take medicines for diabetes and blood pressure. I have sleep apnea and a bipap machine. I recently had a heart catheter and the two tests before the catheter. I believe this may be where I got the infection.

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical

I'am sorry to hear about your test results. Actually gram positive cocci in clusters is usually an indication that you have staphylococcus in the culture. This is an organism which can cause a number of infections ranging from skin infections to pneumonia to bloodstream infections. Now this can be any one of the species of staphylococci, including the common types which are found normally on the surface of the skin such as epidermis and also the virulent species namely S.Aureus.

Amoxicillin/clavunate

Oxacillin

Methicillin

Naficillin

Vancomycin

Linezolid

trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole

Clindamycin

Daptomycin

Among many others

However the first line would be penicillin, however the antibiotic would change depending on the site of infection as well. However in your case infection of the feet and legs can be treated with the help of amoxicillin/clavunate at a dose of either 1 g twice a day or 625 mg thrice a day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The answer was fast. I am going to have to try one of these to see if it works before I can judge. I don't want to continue this to membership as I was unaware that this was to be a monthly charge instead of a one time charge. This is the only question I had or hope to have. Sorry. Thanks for the reply, Please confirm that there will be no further charges.

Ill forward your request for membership cancellation to customer services, they can cancel it for you.