Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a 45-year old female who has a one week history of

Customer Question
Hi, I am a...

Hi, I am a 45-year old female who has a one week history of abdominal discomfort. I have not had a period in over 2 years and blood work done in January showed me as being post menopausal-on Tuesday j started experiencing pelvic bleeding plus had visible blood in my urine. Wednesday my urine was red with clots in it. The culture my dr did shows no growth -I have a history of kidney stones -I am still having frequent urination and right sided flank pain with pelvic bleeding-what could be causing this

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

I am having right sided flank pain. I don’t have periods-I am supposedly post menopausal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have hypothyroidism and a history of prolactinoma

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

A blood in urine is likely due to stone (with flank pain and your past medical history).

But a vaginal bleeding needs investigations.

The post menopausal bleeding needs attention for the cause. The cervix or uterine cancers are one of the causes but it is likely to be because of the other benign or harmless reasons. The causes with incidences are;

1) Atrophic vaginitis (2%)

2) Endometrial atrophy (55%)

3) Endometrial polyps (15%)

4) Endometrial cancer (10%)

5) Endometrial hyperplasia (10%)

6) Hormonal effect (7%)

7) Cervical cancer (less than 1%)

8) Other (hydrometra, pyometra, hematometra: less than 1%)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bleeding-after-menopause/AN01824

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vaginal-bleeding/HO00159

Though, it is mandatory to consult your gynecologist to rule out various genital cancers, you can see that the cancer attribute only around 11% for the causes and majority are the benign reasons. Endometrial atrophy and endometrial polyps are the most common causes of postmenopausal bleeding. Endometrial carcinoma is the cause in about 10 percent of patients.So, need not worry, as more chance is that, there is nothing serious.

You may get a CT scan or MRI of abdomen for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl
It was-I am seeing my gp today to get everything assessed

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor