Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had this hive breakout for about a year. I have seen…

Customer Question
Hi I have had...

Hi I have had this hive breakout for about a year. I have seen a doctor and he told me to just take some allergy medicine but they just clear them for a day and I wake up with them again and they are becoming a pain.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No I'm not allergic to anything and I have tried multiple allergy medication (over the counter)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well no and that's what gets me.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 9 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Were any investigations done?

This is very likely to be chronic hives or urticaria. The major causes of urticaria are;

1) Foods or food additives

2) Inhalation, ingestion of, or contact with antigens

3) Drug reactions

4) Infections: bacterial, fungal, viral, and helminthic/parasites

5) Insects (papular urticaria)

6) Cold urticaria

7) Aquagenic (water) urticaria

8) Solar (Sun) urticaria

9) Chronic autoimmune (problems of immunity) urticaria

10) Chronic idiopathic (unknown reason) urticaria

So it is a sort of detective work to find the cause.

A chronic urticaria is treated as following (many have been done for you);

1) A consultation with an allergist, if not yet done.
2) Avoid foods with known food allergies.
3) Avoidance of mental stress over tiredness, alcohol, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and tight-fitting garments.
4) Psychologic stress can trigger or increase itching, so taking care of those factors.
5) Night time symptoms are helped by lukewarm bathing and keeping the temperature of the bedroom slightly low.
6) Itching is significantly helped by menthol and phenol cream.
7) Non sedating antihistamines. The dose may need to be doubled or quadrupled.
8) Hydroxyzine or doxepin in night time.
9) Colchicine or dapsone is given who do not respond to above.
10) Autoimmune urticaria should be investigated and one may benefit from methotrexate or cyclosporine.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/