Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bumps on the back of my tongue. No I have not seen a…

Customer Question
I have bumps on...

I have bumps on the back of my tongue

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I have not seen a doctor as yet and I'm taking Mobic and nexium

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

How long has you noticed these bumps?

Are they causing any symptoms?

Do you have a picture of these bumps?

Just over a week, they are rubbing on the top of my mouth and no I don't have a picture

There are many possible causes of bumps on the tongue.

First, bumps are not always abnormal. There are a series of bumps on the back of everybody's tongues, called the circumvallate papillae. it is also possible that these normal bumps could become irritated. For example, acid reflux that is reaching the back of the mouth can irritate the tongue and make these papillae swell and be larger. I notice that you are taking Nexium, and you may be having some acid reflux to irritate these papillae. There are other conditions that can cause irritation and enlargement of the circumvallate papillae, such as infections within the mouth or deficiencies on vitamin B12 or folic acid.

It is also possible to have various growths on the tongue that would present as bumps. Growths can be benign or malignant. If I could see a picture, then I could make a better statement of whether these bumps would be worrisome.

Are you taking Nexium for acid reflux?

If so, how well is the Nexium working to control the reflux?

I have not heard back about the use of Nexium.

If you are using the Nexium for acid reflux but are continuing to have symptoms, then it would be OK to augment the Nexium, such as by using an antacid or adding ranitidine.