Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What are papalaries? Are they cancerous? It is my neice. She…

Customer Question
What are papalaries? Are...

What are papalaries? Are they cancerous?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It is my neice. She is in her forties and was told she has a tumor with papalaries that are going towards her filopian tubes. They want to remove the tumor and filopian tubes. They did not do a biopsy because she said just do the surgery because the tumor has to go whether it is cancerous or benign.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/22/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The correct spelling is papillary. The term, papillary refers to the general appearance of the structure, and specifically that it is growing with small projections that look like nipples or small fingers. There are some normal structures that are papillary in appearance, and there are both benign and cancerous growths that have a papillary growth pattern. So, the mere fact that the tumor is described as papillary does not indicate whether it is benign or cancerous.

You do not say where the tumor started, and it may be difficult to say the exact site of origin on imaging studies. However, if this tumor started in the ovaries and is growing towards the Fallopian tube, then a papillary tumor would be worrisome for a papillary cancer, called a cystadenocarcinoma, which is the most common type of ovarian cancer.

However, it cannot be said that it definitely is cancer because it has a papillary appearance, and removal of the tumor will be able to determine the exact type of tumor.

Is there any other further information that would be helpful?

Do u think she should get another opinion or have a biopsy before the surgery? Can they tell by the imaging if the tumor is cancerous?
Thank you.

That would require more information.

Do you have a copy of the report that discusses the tumor?

No.
It is for my neice and I do not have any paper work, so thank you.

In some cases, the imaging test can see tell that it is likely cancer or that there are features that are worrisome for cancer, but without the report, it is difficult to say whether this is present in her case.

As for whether she should get a biopsy, if the tumor needs to be removed whether benign or malignant, then the decision to not undergo a biopsy is appropriate. The decision to remove the tumor even if benign would depend upon what symptoms are present and the appearance on the imaging report. For example, a larger tumor should be removed whether benign or malignant.

As for seeking a second opinion, there is nothing in this information that indicates that a second opinion is needed. However, a second opinion is always appropriate if the patient desires it. Whenever any of my patients have seen one surgeon that recommends surgery and the patient then asks me whether they should seek a second opinion, I am quick to agree and make the referral. Major surgery is not something that should be taken lightly, and it is never wrong to seek a second opinion before deciding upon major surgery. If it would help the patient make an informed decision to speak to a second surgeon, that is fine.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

I have not heard back regarding any further information, so I will complete the answer. If there is any additional information that would be helpful, please let me know.