Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I just went to local clinic and had xray do ne of abdomen…

I just went to local...
I just went to local clinic and had xray do ne of abdomen and I am severly constipated and a possible impactipon.i am trying lacalose and going on lguid diet until stools are ossibly relaeased.do you think this will work plus I will go to er if needed,i just started the lacalose and am having aliitle diarhea
9/22/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

of course what are they

how bad is your pain?
Are you having a fever with your pain?

I have no fever.i have pain that varies on and off in severity from very severe to moderate to mild at times.i had a xray done aprox 3 days ago and I did golighly but that didn't work and I ate while taking the laxatives and things got worse so now I am liguid only while taking the lactulose until I remove the stools form my colon and of course if the pain contimues to be severe I would go to er.so far I took the lactulose a hour ago and have had a stool of diarhea

The lactulose should help with the constipation. If the pain does not improve, or if you develop a fever, then would recommend that you do go to the ER as you mentioned.

once you are no longer constipated, its important to eat a healthy diet so you don't have more episodes of constipation. A high fiber diet can help to keep your bowel movements regular.

does that answer your question?

I went to er sunday with sevre constipation but she said I could eat witht the laxatives they gave me which didn't help and I did mirlax and lacalose etc with food and worsened everything.so now I am going to try lacalose 30cc 3times aday with small amount of liuid food such as prune juice or apple.i took lacalose and mirlax with food since sunday and constipation worsened.it is now in entire colon.what wouyld be a sighn that I am impacted with stool and I should stop the lacalose and go to the er.if I continue to have dark colored diarrhea that means I am geeting rid of the stoolcorrect?

you will have some loose stool or diarrhea with the lactulose and that should mean that your constipation is resolving. But if the pain is getting worse, or you develop nausea and vomiting, I would recommend going back to the ER.

Does that make sense?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

that does make sense but I have few more gustions please.the doctor didn't know if I was impacted or not.i tried the lacalose and had a small amount of diarehea so far.as long as I am having diarrhea for aprox as lng as I have the lactulose for which is aprox 3 days then I am not impacted and it wont be dangerous to contiunue the lactulose for aprox 3 days or until the diarrhea stops.i am entirely full of stool which may take a lot of lactulose.how will I know when the stool is empty.i will not be eating solid foods

as your constipation improves, you'll have less and less stool/diarrhea (usually over 24 hours).

Slowly add back solid foods over the 24 hours and focus on foods higher in fiber (salads, vegetables, etc)

As far as determining if you are impacted, that typically requires a rectal exam to see if there is hard stool in the rectum blocking stool from coming out.

does that answer your questions?

I just have another guestion please.i am totally impacted with stools and I know I don thave feces in my rectal area becase I am a retired nurse and I can feel no stool in my rectal area..i know that I may be totally impacted high up in my colon.what would be the sign that I am not eliminating all the stool.it would be clear diarrhea and no stools right.i m so scared I wont elimate the stool with the laalose.the golightly didn't work nor did a lot of the othe laxaives.i wont eat this time but what would they do in the er to clean meout if the lacalose doent work.i was told by one doctor that my hardned stool may need surgery and it go worse

Often times they will do either a fleets enema, and if that fails, they will try to manually disimpact the stool that is blocking the colon. In very rare cases would surgery ever be needed.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
may I ask you a vey importmant guestion.is it safe for me to be this severly constipated and or impacted and to be going to bed at night,isnt this a medical emergency where I should already be in the er.i am scared to be this impacted with stool.the doctor stated my entire colon was packed in stool and that if didn't mprove to go to er
does severe constipation or impaction reguire hopitaization?i took the lacalose 60 cc a few hours ago and only had 2 stools o fdiarea
Very rarely does it require hospitalization
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started
Kindly cancel the phonecall request - Thank you.
Don’t worry about the phone call. It should go away and you shouldn’t be charged for it
my xray was done a few days ago and only my right colon was full of stool.i continued to eat with the laxatives and now today the xray wasdone at anther clinic and my entire colon is loaded wth stool and part of my rectal area but not where I can feel it in my rectal area.so is it safe to go to sleep and be at home alone with this entire colon full of stool.i live alone and hope I will be okay.this is safe to go to sleep with this much stool in my colon?
I have never had this much stool in my colon before and I am afraid.so are you saying I should be okay tojust try to rest and lie down and try to sleep tonight and if in the morning I h=am not havng diarrhea or stools then go to er?
i know a fecal impaction could be occurring here where i am worried that this stool wont get out.i willonly hope for the best and will not eat anything solid.i will call for help if needed.i am just scared to be possibly impacted with stool.i will go to er ifit worsens.i just have one more gusestion please.i know you said this rarely reguires hopspitazation but i hope tis isn't a impaction.
i apologize for the trouble i caused by regusting a phone reguest.i felt that if i had more guestions i would start another discussion.i will call customer assistance and ask to do a phone reguest aain if nneded,iapoligize,
coud i reguest another phone call please
i will call customer aasistnce to try to pay for call.i am worrie about my health
i asked to pay for the phone reguest.i have more gusetions.
i am very afaid i have a serious fecal imaction that wiil reguire hospitalization.my stols are not moving with the lacalose
since no one is caking me on the phone could you please answer another gusetion now please.just 1 more please
What other question can I help you with?
thank you sir and may god bless you for your kindness.my constipation started on sunday and saw 2 doctorsfor 2 different opions,one said my stool would have to be surgically removed.it was only in the right side of my colon.he said for me to eat healthier and to let it slowly dissolve the stool over time if possible,the other doctor said it wouldn't reguire surgery only rarely and gave me golighly which dint help.i contiud to eat with the lasxatives which was stupid,i did eat healthier but now my entire colon is full.i am very afraid that they may have to go in surgically .i had another xray and the doctor gave me the lacalose to try and said to go to er in a few days if it doent improve or if the pain gets bad.i am very afaid the stools are impacted and that i might have to go to the er again and be hospitized.is this dangerous to be so full of stool?i definely wont eat,even when i went to the er sunday the nurse told me i could eat with the laxatives the gave me.i should not have been eating at all.
my last guestion was i am hoping my stools aregoing to move with the lactulose.i will never eat bad again.this is scarey.i never thought i could be seriously ill from this.you said thois rarly reuires hopspitization.if i don't eat oild food and continue to take laxatives and drink nutrional drinks i could fix this without going to hospital is that correct?

I appreciate your responses. Constipation is usually not serious and I think its very good that you have seen several doctors for this problem. I would expect that you start to feel better by tomorrow. If you don't (or have worsening pain), you can go the ER.

Does that help?

I think I have a fecal impction since the doctor I saw Tuesday stated he saw the area in my colon that needed surgery to remove it.i took the mirlax and it diodnt help.so I continues to eat healthiy thinking som of the stool may have gotten out but it is 100 percent worse.can I break up the fecal impaction by using the lacalose and not eating?i am very worried.

if your symptoms are 100 percent worse, I would recommend that you go to the ER then so they can re-evaluate you.

the doctor today saw my xray and said to try the lacalose.i am hoping this will work to break up the stool.he said if it didn't then go to te er.i was eleveated in the clinic today.when I said I was100 percent wors i meant that my stool went from only the right side of my colon constipated to my entire colon.i am not eating now and taking the lactulose,is this safe ti try first befor going to er

I would recommend going to the ER if your symptoms are that much worse.

they said I could eat with the laxatives which I shouldn't have,.i should have been without food and only ligiuds which I was going to try first.isnt it more effective to use only ligiuds when you are constipated?that is what I think went wrong.i will go to er in the morning or tonight if symptoms worsen.i had neen eating with the laxatives which didn't help.they sad I could .when you are constipated shpulnt you be on a liuid diet until the stool loosens and is eliminated.

a liquid diet can be helpful when you are constipated. I think its very wise that you plan to go to the ER.

if I am severly constipated and my doctor that saw me today didn't think I needed go to the er after my xray was taken and stated I could wait to see ifthe lacalose helped then cant I wait until tomorrow.he did state to go if my pain got worse or the lacalose didn't work.

yes, I agree that you should go to the ER if your pain gets worse.

what I am trying to say is that I hope it is safe to be this severly constipated at home going to bed.i am not going to eat and will definely go to er tonight if the pain is worse than usual and I have friend that will take me at 5am if needed.i did have more stool diareha so far from the lactalse than from the golighly,i am not eating any solid food until I get this stool out.
ye sir.i have a friend that will drive me in the morning,she has her phone on tonight.she is my caregiver as well.she had been through severe constipation also.she drives me to doctors appts and helps me.i should never have eaten this week witht the constipston that's why I am trying the luids only irst to see if it breaks up the stool.good night and please kkep me in your prayers and thank you

you are welcome and I hope you feel better soon

thank you io am very worried.i nvere thought this would ever happen,
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD