Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My question is I tried marijuana for the first time in my…

Customer Question
Hi, my question...

Hi, my question is I tried marijuana for the first time in my life back in May my sister just gave me what she says a hit want i was coughing so I never did it after May of this year. Now I took a drug test and my results are positive 0.25 I am protesting it because I don't want to be seen as a pothead with the new employer. I am worry can it be a health issue instead when I pee in the cup it was so red. The MRO that was suppose to call me he just accused me of smoking marijuana he never even asked anything else other than accussing me and tranfering me to the person that was suppose to take the contest. on the day of the drug test I didn't had any water was too busy at work and then I took it at night. there was alot of confusion with the clinic they were not releasing any information to the new employer or myself.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No other than I am been in a weight loss clinic who are given me B12 shots and Phentermine 30millgram

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

were you on any other medications or supplements when you took the drug test?

no
what are the questions? or this is a scam please don't

No, I just need to figure out if there was a reason for you to have a false positive test.

there are some medications that can sometimes trigger a false positive test for drugs.

I really don't know why? if I smoke back in May and now here is September why, how

That's what I am trying to help you with. Sometimes people get a false positive on these tests because of other medications or supplements that they are taking.

Do you know if they just did the screening drug test or did they also do the second confirmatory test as well?

One thing that was odd is that the clinic didn't wanted to inform the company or myself about the status of my drug screening. I was told because I took it very late at night and the specim stayed over night until the next afternoon then the weekend came and there was more days it was just kind of odd. the secondary test I have pay for it. The company is telling me that I have to pay for it 150dls. It is a Split something they will using the same urine
I have only 3 days. I just can't imagined still having the one little pup.

There are some specific requirements that they have to follow with the urine specimen, so you may be able to request a new test if it was held for that long.

Your other option is to pay for the confirmation test (I know its expensive), but the second test is done a different way that should not give a false positive result, and if you haven't had any marijuana since May, that test should be negative unless you have been having second hand smoke exposure

ohh that yes I have been around people who smoke on a daily basis but they live downstairs. I did mentioned it to the MRO he said no no no that is not you smoked pot. When I did the test for two day I was not home so I didn't get to smell anything thats is why
I am wondering if is the clinic that failed. I want to go to my own doctor if the test comes back positive

So unlikely that you had much exposure if they live downstairs.

I would consider paying to have the confirmation test done. Its much more accurate that the first test they did.

does that answer your question?

What is expected from the reevaluation test? this is very embarrasing I am 51yrs old and have a grandson I did a stupid thing back in May. Another thing in August 2017 i took a preemployment drug screen and the results were negative.
You know what I a going with the second screen. Like you said it is expensive but at least I will not be wondering the integrity of the clinic and the process. I took the test on September 13 and just yesterday we got the results
I was so stupid to informed my soon to be boss that it couldn't be that the last time i used it was back in may way before they even met me.
I told her that I was removing myself from duties until its clear.
After seven days we got an answer. is this normal time?

depends on the testing facility and how often the MRO reviews results, so cant say if the 7 days for notification is an issue or not

does that help?

and the second test uses a special laboratory machine called gas chromatography. its a lot more accurate than the initial screening tests (but also more expensive and takes longer which is why they don't use it as the first test.)

I just wanted to see if you had any further questions?

If not, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.