Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Do you ever treat esophoagast spasams woth nitro glycerine.

Customer Question
Do you ever treat...

Do you ever treat esophoagast spasams woth nitro glycerine

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes and this is what he told me

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have this chest pain up high that some times goes to my upper back. I had an ekg and blood work and chest x ray and all was ok

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No, and the pain is mostly like 3 am when i lie on either side

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

If you have esophageal spasm as confirmed by manometry [pressure measurements of the esophagus], they are treated with either:

a. calcium channel blockers.

b. Long acting nitrites, such as isordil.

They are not treated with nitroglycerine as this would be too short acting.

But, it might give a very short term relief.

OK, let me know if you have more questions. Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.