Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has had this rash on his neck for 7 months. They

Customer Question
My son has had...

My son has had this rash on his neck for 7 months. They treated it as ringworm and it got better with oral and topical mess. Now it's getting worse again and it never fully went away.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

Not that we are aware of and it does not itch. I have a pic but now sure how to insert it. It's been going on and off for like 7 months

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. It just seems to be around the neck where the shirt rubs

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

I attached a pic
Did you get my message

Got it--thanks

Does this itch him?

It says it does not itch. It's like where his shirt rubs. They treated it for ring worm with oral antifungal meds and cream and it got a little better but never went away fully. It has a spot on other side of his neck but not as bad as that one.

OK

This doesn't look at all like ringworm or any other kind of fungal skin infection

It looks more like a type of allergic dermatitis--possibly from the shirt rubbing there

I would go about treating it with a course of oral prednisolone and topical triamcinolone cream

Please let me know if you need any more information

I need to take him to a doctor for these medicine? Anything I can buy over the counter to help?

You can try over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream and topical Caladryl lotion and that might clear it up

Ok. Thank you

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you