Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having a tooth which has root canals in it extracted in…

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a tooth which has root canals in it extracted in a few days. My crown came off and when x ray revealed chronic infection under the gum this was suggested. The dentist is not putting me to sleep, and I am wondering should I be taking an antibiotic before the extraction, having a chronic infection?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?

I saw the dentist this past Tuesday. I am scheduled for the extraction next Tues. morn. My gums around this tooth tonight look a little puffy and lack color. Kind of white

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No heart problems up until this I have been in good health. I am not on any medications. No alcohol or drugs.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

No, generally the extraction will get rid of the infection, taking antibiotics would only increase your chance of resistance.

Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago

Do you have any other questions for me?