Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Is the correct way to take your blood pressure by sitting at

a table with your arm...
Is the correct way to take your blood pressure by sitting at a table with your arm level with your heart? I also sit relaxed. I got high blood pressure and I take Lisinopril. My reading comes out mostly right on all the time. Last night it was was 112 over 81. IF I try reading my blood pressure in any other way (arm not on table) it usually comes out different.
9/21/2017

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Steve,

This is the right way of taking blood pressure, which you are doing.

The arm should be supported by the table and at heart level.

There may be slight deviation of the blood pressure when you take it in other way.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
114 over 85 with my arm hanging in the air just took it. 112 over 78 with arm on table Dr. Phophalia.

Yes, this is the difference which happens.

But for all practical purposes, these are same blood pressure readings in the eye of a doctor as there is no need of any policy change and they both are normal.

Have you ever seen a patient with blood pressure that is hard to control and is really high Dr. Phophalia.?

We see huge number of these patients with very high blood pressure and difficult to control.

Mine was high Dr. but with 10 mg of lisinopril it went back down to normal. I eat a lot of tv dinners high in salt they tell me. I get excercise. I weigh 171 and I am 6 foot tall and I am trying to lose weight by cutting calorie intake. about 5 years ago a cardio doctor in the ER ruled out my heart is in excellent condition and hope it still is.

Sure, your heart would be okay.

Take less table salt, exercise regularly, do meditation and relaxation techniques.

It is good that your BP is now normal.

A positive rating would be appreciated.

I left you a 5 star rating before you asked me =). Thanks for talking with me Dr. Phophalia

I really appreciate.

Sorry, I could not see it, earlier.

My best,

No problem doctor thanks for confirming the right way to check BP. Thanks!

You are always welcome.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

You as well. thanks Dr. Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor