Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have lost my sense of smell and taste. What can I do? No,

Customer Question
I have lost my...

I have lost my sense of smell and taste. What can I do?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No, dicyclomine and just started divalproex. I was on some other medications, but they were discontinued

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

The 2 I mentioned, and no to allergies

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was on a whole bunch of medicine prior to this and within the last month this started

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 9 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Since when have you lost smell and taste?

What are the investigations done and treatment tried?

Nothing yet

What is your age?

Are you diabetic?

Are you still there?
61 and not diabetic

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Loss of smell is called as anosmia. Usually sense of taste is integrally connected with it. Many times the cause is not ascertainable for these problems and thus treatment is difficult. People with loss of smell from viral cause need counseling as the return of these functions/senses is spontaneous / on its own. So most of the advice is what to expect and how to protect yourself from harm.

1) Gas detectors are recommended if any heating or home appliances run on natural gas. Information on where to purchase these detectors can be obtained from local gas companies.

2) Food storage should be cautious and should be avoided. Labeling leftovers with dates of storage is very important so you can dispose them appropriately.

3) If you have minimal of the nose symptoms like running or blockage, this can be underlying allergic rhinitis (even if mild in nature), because this mild disease may impair ability to appreciate any smell and taste, that does return.

Following are the other possible causes and treatment;

a) Nose or sinus condition; should be aggressively treated.

b) Hypothyroidism, autoimmune disorders, if are concomitant disease with your problem, they should be managed meticulously.

c) Vitamins, topical steroids, and tricyclic antidepressants (for their effect on Cerebro-Spinal Fluid catecholamines) can be tried by your physician as they are effective in 50% of cases.

d) Eliminating toxins like cigarette smoke (active or passive)

e) A viral disease can cause extensive scarring and replacement of the nerves, but studies suggest that stem cells remain, allowing for potential regeneration of the olfactory (smell) epithelium. Recovery of smell and taste can take weeks to months. Oral steroids improve function in these cases, thus can be tried by your physician for you.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Do most people regain their taste and smell?

Almost 95-97% people will regain taste and smell in your age group.

This is viral in most instances which recovers spontaneously.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.Best wishes,It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/