Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is this a paid site for medical advice? just want to know…

Customer Question
Is this a paid...

Is this a paid site for medical advice ? just want to know before i get started

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I made a*****teip

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Trip yesterday and may not have had enough water along the way ( to reduce the #of stops).. when i arrived i ate a small snack and had 2 glasses of wine- when i awoke today i had a raging headache nausea and vomited several times during the day- i haven't been able to stand for long and have slept a lot - i have been drinking water and had some broth earlier tonight ... what's wrong with me ? ):

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Forgot to add - i've been dizzy all day ...

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. Are you normally in good health otherwise? Are you taking any medications for any reason?

i take meds for low thryoid ( armour) and very small dose of methylprednisolyne - have not had any issues with these meds in past ..
error ! phone is (###) ###-####
having problem with phone - we can continue to type if easier at this time - thank you

Given your story, my concern would be that you are suffering the after effects of heat exhaustion. As alcohol is a diuretic, it can further dehydrate a person and make this much worse. If you are still feeling this way, you should avoid alcohol and rehydrate with an electrolyte solution (eg. gatorade, pedialyte). If you went into urgent care or the ER they could rehydrate you faster with IV fluids, and check your blood to rule out an electrolyte imbalance or an infection somewhere (eg. gastrointestinal, urinary, etc).

this doesn't seem like a regular hangover .. i didn't drink enough to have such severe symptoms - the dizziness and vomiting ... is of concern - of course i will not drink any alcohol and try to rehydrate ... i'm in Canada - no access to ER ( couldn't make it driving for sure ) - just had lemonade - hope the sugar will help and stay 'down' ... this is not a 'regular ' hangover
can heat exhaustion happen without real exposure to heat ?....

Heart exhaustion is really just a form of dehydration, with the heat accelerating the process and causing the blood pressure to drop. In the absence of heat, I would guess it was a matter of too little fluid (with resulting drop in blood pressure) and possibly a low blood sugar as well (if you were not eating). If you normally drink coffee every day and skipped it due to your trip, this could also be an important factor in terms of the headache and nausea. As long as you are not having fever, and can eat and drink normally, you should be able to ride this out over the next couple of days (the expected symptomatic period). You may have also picked up a virus. This might take a bit longer to peak and then resolve (3-7 days). Either way, you would want to rest, stay hydrated, stick to a bland diet and go into urgent care for fever, chills, protracted vomiting, abdominal pain or copious diarrhea.

ok... i hope i can recover quickly ..i have a 12 hr car ride home in a few days ... can u reccomend a drink to have now and during my trip to stay hydrated ? thank you
Ps ... i do normally have very low blood pressure

Low blood pressure is good for the heart, but makes you more susceptible to dehydration, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc. I would be sure to drink 8 glasses per day of whatever drink you prefer, just avoid alcohol and limit yourself to one cup of coffee as these substances promote fluid losses. Also, keep in mind that "water follows salt" so eating salty foods will help you to hang on to water and keep your blood pressure up.