Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a smell in my nose like a solvent like scent that my…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have a smell in my nose like a solvent like scent that my wife doesn't smell and mucus forming in my throat like I have a cold. I've been light headed sometimes, mostly when I wake up, and experienced sore neck muscles and shoulders.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you have a fever? Do you have any other existing medical conditions?

No fever right now, but I haven't used a thermometer. I am diabetic type 2 and take both slow and fast acting insulin.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I use a cpap machine. As far as history, I've had Hepatitis C (2 yrs. cured), psoriasis, and was hospitalized with Sepsis a year ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/21/2017
Doctor: Vakul Aren, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.The abnormal smell may occur due to sinus problems,whereas the mucus usually comes from the lungs/ as also the nasopharynx due to the increased air flow from the C-PAP machine.This is a frequent problem for C-PAP users,night time use of decongestant drops will usually help with this.The mask or the tubing of the C-PAP may be responsible for the smell of solvent,an ENT check to rule out any infective or allergic sinusitis or similar problem by an ENT specialist would be prudent.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor