Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Manoscan eso esophageal manometry--What is the procedure…

Customer Question
Manoscan eso esophageal manometry--What...

Manoscan eso esophageal manometry--What is the procedure like?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am to have it Tuesday. I have acalasia. I am on Omeproxole primary. I also have low platelets.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had some small ulcers years ago and thrush in my throat. I am diabetic.

Doctor's Assistant: How severe is this?

The esophagus narrows so that Barium won't pass to the stomach. If I overeat, I throw it up.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr Uzair, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Esophageal manometry is a test used to assess pressure and motor function of the esophagus. With ManoScan ESO, physicians are able to evaluate how well the muscles in the esophagus work to transport liquids or food from the mouth into the stomach. The test will be performed by a doctor, nurse or technician and generally takes less than 30 minutes. Generally, you will be in a comfortable, semi-reclining or reclining position. Your nose and throat may be numbed with a spray or gel. This will minimize any discomfort associated with the placement of the small catheter through your nose and into your stomach. During this time, you will be able to breathe, swallow and talk with ease. During the test you will be asked to take deep breaths or swallow a number of times. The pressures resulting from these actions will be detected and recorded by tiny sensors located on the catheter. The recording will then be transferred to a report for review and interpretation by your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.