Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have noticed the veins in my left foot are way more

Customer Question
I have noticed the...

I have noticed the veins in my left foot are way more bulging then my right foot. Since its the side with my heart it worries me

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Yes lots of heart disease from my maternal side. My health has been different for the last couple years. Lumpy thighs, body aches, my family physician diagnosed me wioth fibromyalgia but I have yet to go to a rhematologist

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The last few years with my blood work, low iron, low vitamin D and RDW results etc has been rising

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. Is this a new finding? Does it come and go?

I have noticed it the last several months. It does come and go but the left seems to be more bulgy on a regular basis its just sometimes its way more prominent

Do you have calf pain on that side?

no.
Another thing, is if I rub my thighs with pressure up and down my thighs I noticed they are very uneven and lumpy like

The bulging veins may indicate a degree of venous insufficiency, a very common condition in which the veins bulge on and off over time and lose some of their elasticity. This prevents them from staying tight and pumping blood back to the heart effectively. The result is that they bulge, and because they have blue walls, they become more pronounced. There may also be some swelling present. This may happen faster on one side than the other, so there is an asymmetry between the feet until the other one catches up, so to speak. This is not concerning if you are otherwise in good health (the fibro is not related). Just be sure to elevate your legs whenever you are sitting down, and wear compression stockings when you are on your feet for more than an hour or two.

If your doctor is at all concerned about the circulation in your legs, he can order a Doppler Venous Ultrasound test to assess the integrity of the veins and rule out a clot that might also be causing back flow into the foot. This is a less common cause and the swelling does not usually come and go, however.

Do you recommend I see a vascular doctor to track my veins for venous insufficiency? i work with a woman who had to have procedures for her veins becuse they were essentially not pushing through properly. and any info you can give me about the luimpy thighs. That has me concerned
Am i still waiting on the last response to my comment?

You're on the right track. But I would get the ultrasound study first, as the vascular surgeons may want to see the results before they evaluate you. The lumpiness in the thighs may be varicose veins under the skin. The ultrasound may help with this as well. Another common cause of this is lipomatosis, storage of fat in little lumps under the skin. Neither of these conditions are serious, but your doctor should narrow it down for you based on the exam and studies.

Great thank you so much for your help

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.

Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello? How are doing today? Do you have any follow up questions? If so, let me know and I would be happy to help further.

If not, a positive rating would me much appreciated. This is the only way physician-experts on this site get compensated for the time they spend helping patients.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor