Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has been taking Mucinex for cough for 4 days and…

Customer Question
Hi, My husband...

Hi, My husband has been taking Mucinex for cough for 4 days and he is still coughing and vomiting a lot of clear and white mucus. This went on for 2 hours this morning. He is working but... what else can he take to dry up the mucus. Thank you.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

The cough has been since last Thursday - 6 days. He passed a kidney stone on Friday and did not go to the doctor.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has a terrible digestive system but eats basically the same food, pretty bland. drinks water and coke. no coffee or beer , hardly ever drinks alcohol.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Has he acid reflux, heartburn, fever, shortness of breath, wheezing, urinary burning, increased frequency of urination, chest pain?

He has acid reflux and takes Zantac, no hearburn, or wheezing. He became very sweaty when coughing up the mucus, no chest pain. urination timing is normal.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok thank you

The common causes of cough are postnasal drip (also called upper airway cough syndrome), asthma, and reflux laryngitis / gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). These causes are responsible for up to 90 percent of all cases of chronic cough. Less common causes include infections, medications, and chronic lung diseases. Another common cause of chronic cough is nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis.

Reflux laryngitis or laryngopharyngeal reflux or extraesophageal GERD, differs from traditional GERD in that it does not manifest as heartburn.

So first step is to start Prilosec also with Zantac. He should also take antacid like Mylanta.

Instead of Mucinex he may consider taking Dextromethorphan and guaifenesin combination which is one of the best (Robitussin DM).

If these are unable to stop the cough, he needs to get a chest x-ray and spirometry for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you so much.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor