Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My Acth morning results are 40, and my cortisol is 378,

Customer Question
My Acth morning results...

My Acth morning results are 40

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

And my cortisol is 378

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Weight gain, hives rashes, swelling on face, borderline thyroid test result, fatigue, low vit d, stretch marks on thighs, bloating, newly diagnosed as gluten intolerant,

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

2 years now. Past cortisol levels were 117. High testosterone levels. Extreme weight gain, hot flashes, high bp

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing your cortisol levels are certainly high and if you are not in any steroids then it is likely that this increased production is coming from the adrenal glands. The acth is not suppressed as it should be but in many cases of Cushing disease the acth may not be decreased. But the cortisol levels are certainly increased. And that is why the next be step here is to actually get a CT scan of the abdomen done. At the same time you should see an endocrinologist and get a dexamethasone suppression test done to see if you truly have Cushing disease or not.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
I have had ct abdomen and ct pituitary both came clear. My morning cortisol is low at 378 as the range given is 450 and above as normal.I am under endocrinologist supervision since 2 years and they are unable to reach diagnosis.
What are units of cortisol test, the ranges I am talking about are in ug/dl. Is your test done in pg/ml?
In ug/ dl the normal range for a morning test is between 10 to 20
Also if you have your tests with you can you upload them here especially the endocrine tests as well any autoimmune panel that you might have gotten done
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor