Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had my cancerous prostate removed. After the surgery my…

Customer Question
I had my cancerous...

I had my cancerous prostate removed. After the surgery my penis does not hang down like before. When I sit it disappears inside of me. What could be causing this?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Are you overweight?

Do you have excess pad of fat in the lower abdomen?

What is your age?

When were you operated?

I weigh the same as before the operation. The difference was immediately seen after the operation. I am now 77 years old. Operation was about 6 years ago.
Any comments?
Will he call later?
I have computer work to do. I will leave this site. Call me. email me.***@******.***
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 10 months ago

You should get the hormonal evaluation especially the testosterone. A low testosterone may be likely responsible for your manifestations. You also need a colored doppler study of the penis. It will tell about the blood flow to penis tissue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Doctor: Ross, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Ross
Ross, Doctor

hello Dr Ross IM a urologist, this occurs after the surgery due to some contraction of tissue after surgery. Its good to use a vacuum device initially for penile rehab. there is so edema thayt makes the fat pad move slightly. you do not want to worry about testosterone that is what makes prostate cancer grow that was not affected by the surgery. It is known the penis does shrink by about a cm after that surgery

I hope that help we all loose abdominal tone as we age if you lay down flat you see the real length of the penis from you pubic bone is about the same

sorry im not hooked up for calls , just started doing this a month ago urologist 30 years, trying to slow down, rating appreciated thank you