Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been falling back and forward without any feeling or…

Customer Question
I have been falling...

I have been falling back and forward without any feeling or pain involved. My specialist says it is because I am getting paralysed thatis why I do not feel any pain at all

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Nothing makes it have feeling at all = I just fall.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am almost 80. I worked extremely long hours. Heart specialist says I worked myself to death. I supported 7 of us. My hubby had an addiction to alcohol. (Now he has stopped).

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you have been having episodes of falling. And I see these occur without any feeling or pain etc. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see there are various underlying health conditions that can cause this type of falling without any pain or feeling etc. They are basically various neurological or inner ear causes, or general medical causes, or other causes etc as I have mentioned below here;

A) The inner ear causes include the following;

Labyrinthitis

Vestibular neuronitis

BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Postural Vertigo),

Medication side effects (if you are on any meds that can affect the inner ear function and equilibrium, not otherwise)

Meniere disease etc

B) The neurological causes include the following;

Structural conditions affecting the brain, especially the cerebellum part of brain or vestibular connections & centers within the brain which control our balance and equilibrium, and ability to maintain the standing position

Neuropathies (primary nerve injury to the peripheral nerves)

Cervical spine diseases/spinal cord conditions (spine in the neck area)

C) Certain medical causes include the following;

Chronic vitamin deficiencies (deficiencies of vitamin B12, folate or vitamin E etc)

Thyroid diseases etc

D) Certain other causes include the following;

Excessive stress, anxiety disorder, panic attacks too can present with sudden falls like this without any warning symptoms or any other associated symptoms like pain or feeling etc

Overall physical deconditioning secondary to excessive physical work due to working extremely long hours in the past (as unfortunately you had to undergo to support your family/hubby) - too can cause or contribute to these types of falls

I am not telling each & every of the possibilities mentioned above are applicable in your case, I am trying to provide you with a list like this because these are the various possibilities we see in our clinic when someone presents with the type of symptoms you have mentioned above.

If not already done then this needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these isolated & unexpected falls. In this regard you may try to see a neurologist (if not already done) so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too - that may include an MRI scan of the brain, MRI scan of the spine/spinal cord, an EMG/Nerve conduction study – which is a nerve & muscle test, certain specific blood tests, and any other tests as necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime you may try aggressive physical & balance therapy which can help you in preventing these falls.

You may also try one of the following medications that too can help in some patients to prevent falls of this kind;

Buspirone

Amantadine

Acetazolamide

Vitamin E etc

I also reassure you, this type of fall is most likely not related to any serious illnesses, so please not to be scared. If not already done then please try to get this further evaluated, examined, and investigated by a neurologist in the clinic as mentioned above, and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results, in the meantime you may try one or more of the above mentioned treatments that can you help in preventing these unfortunate episodes of falls from occurring.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss this health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)