Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has been sneezing nonstop for three

My daughter has been...

My daughter has been sneezing nonstop for three days...constantly...she can't even get any sleep. We've ben to the allergist and the ER...she has every antihistamine and nasal spray available and prednisone and noting is working... What can we do? I feel so bad for her.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, she's been to the allergist and to the ER... They've tried everything..steroids, nasal sprays and antihistamines.

9/20/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions to ask, is that ok?

Pk
Ok

How old is she?
Did she have a headache before the sneezing started?
Does she have a history of migraines or seizures?

She is 12 years old; no history of migraines or seizures.
She hasn't complained of any headaches.

Obviously unusual for an allergic source to be causing that much sneezing. Did the ER do any tests when she was there?

They did a urine rest and a nasal X-ray...everything came back fine.
Sorry, urine sample test...

Did she have a recent injury to her nose and that is why they did the nasal X-ray?

No, no injury to her nose...They just wanted to make sure she didn't have anything in her nasal cavity.

And I'm assuming the allergist looked in her nose as well?

Oh my goodness, really? Yes, the allergist looked in her nose, her mouth, her ears and listened to her lungs...And the ER did the same things and added a saline nasal rinse.

Sorry to ask, but you'd be surprised how sometimes there is only a very basic exam.

If she doesn't have any significant allergic component for her sneezing, then my recommendation would be neurology consult since two of the cranial nerves contribute to the sneezing reflex.

The neurologist might consider a CT scan to look at the brain and nasal passage, which would give more information than the nasal bone X-ray.

Does that make sense?

It does... I'll make an appointment tomorrow. Thank you.

you're welcome and please update us on what the neurologist thinks as well.

Will do.

I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD