Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am just wonderig what tifico o 1:160 blood test result is…

Customer Question
Hello. I am just...

Hello. I am just wonderig what tifico o 1:160 blood test result is and also rosa de bengala

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Blood test. I was positive for typhoid in the past (3 mths ago)

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I tested positive for proteus-ox19 1:80 3 months ago, but now my results show negative for that, but positive for the two new ones

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
I have had chronic diarrhea for 5 days now... Previously diagnosed with Typhoid, however test results are different this time.
9/20/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually your test results show a couple of things,

first the rose bengal test, this is a test which is done for a disease known as Brucellosis. This is a disease which is acquired by patients who come into contact with livestock or who drink unpasteurized milk etc, but sometimes the source of the bacteria causing the disease cannot be determined. This would cause diarrhea, abdominal pain, generalized body aches and muscle aches. However a rose bengal test on its own does not mean that you have brucellosis, other tests including teh more recent brucella antibody test can be done to determine what is the titer of the antibodies in your bloodstream. Secondly you will also need to undergo blood cultures which can confirm the diagnosis. If the diagnosis is confirmed then this can be easily treated with two oral antibiotics which will need to be used for a period of 6 weeks, namely doxycycline + rifamipicin.

Now the second positive test result is that of salmonella O antigen, tifico O stands for the typhoid O antigen. This is positive in your case with relatively high titers, Now the problem with serological tests for typhoid fever is that they are nowadays not considered the gold standard for diagnosing the problem instead we consider blood cultures as the gold standard. Since you did have typhoid fever about 3 months ago it is possible that the positive result is a residual effect of that event. In the absence of clinical symptoms indicating typhoid fever, this test result by itself would not hold much value, but it does mean that stool cultures, blood cultures are required to see if you still have some typhoid bactertia left in your system.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.