Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have pernicious anemia, and a few other autoimmune

Customer Question
I have pernicious anemia...

I have pernicious anemia, and a few other autoimmune diseases. I may have had a "mini"stroke last week, and am just now calling my doctor's nurse to report it, even though I feel fine now. will a stroke, a week old, appear on an any brains scans? Also, me gastroenterologist's nurse told me to go on a low fat diest. I already have celiac disease and am lactose intolerant. Do you think I should travel 4 hours to a larger medical center?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Last week, I had Restless leg syndrome (taking 1,800 gabapentin for this) in the whole right side of my body, including a strange sensation on the right side of my head. When I woke up in the morning, I had extreme muscle weakness in my hand (could not hold a cup of water). Later in the day my strength slowly returned. I also noticed it in my right foot.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I actually feel good now, but last week I felt very "in a fog," and when I bent over to pick up something my head hurt, until I stood up. My balance was worse than it's normal bad balance due to the pernicious anemia.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Raynauds, Hashimoto's, history of Hellp syndrome with an abruption, surgery for a hepatic cavernous hemangioma, IgG and IgA deficiency which I give self 4 SQ infusions a week of Hizentra, and also have HTN.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/19/2017
Doctor: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Transient ischaemic attack or mini stroke is a condition that resolves within 24 hours.In most cases of TIA,the CT scan is normal and does not show any bleed or infarct on CT scan.

So most likely your CT scan would be normal.

But you need to consult a Gp or preferably a neurologist who would examine you completely and depending on the examination would advise you to have blood tests,ECG and if required echocardiography or doppler ultrasound of carotid arteries or brain scans

In mini strokes the investigation of choice depends on the findings on clinical examination.

So first you should see a doctor and based on the examination he/she would advise you on the next suitable investigation.

In stroke the CT can detect ischaemia or hemorrhage at 1 week but in mini stroke or TIA,the CT scan is normal.

I hope this helps.

Do let me know if you have any questions

If done for now please do leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left of this thread.You can ask any follow up questions even after rating this positively.You are not charged for giving a positive rating.

Thank you

Regards

Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor
Medicaldoctor, Doctor