Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have what I think is a large hemorrhoid at the opening of…

Customer Question
I have what I...

I have what I think is a large hemorrhoid at the opening of the rectum. It feels like a hard blister. Do external hemorrhoids feel like that?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No I have not. I take Lisinopril, crestor, zetia, propranaol, synthroid

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have no history of colon cancer, had a colonoscopy in 2012 that was fine. I am 66 years old.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Not really. I had gall bladder surgery in 2015 and it's been a little strange in the digestive area but not extreme.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/19/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Yes, hemorrhoids can feel like this, especially when they get large.

You should see your doctor about this.

In the meantime, hot sitz baths, soluble fiber supplements, vegetarian diet and something over the counter like preparation H would be the typical approach. If the hemorrhoid is big and painful, however, it can clot off and cause a problem, hence the need for exam.

OK, good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.