Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Daughter 16 has a stabbing pain on her left side hip area.

Customer Question
Daughter 16 has a...

Daughter 16 has a stabbing pain on her left side hip area. Hurts to move

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

She just woke up with it. So only about 15 minutes, When she moves its worse. She is lying down and can't get comfortable

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No she is a healthy kid

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually stabbing pain in this region can be due to a number of conditions. the first one is that she could have a muscle spasm which can occur in teenagers who are active. Usually this occur due to dehydration or an electrolyte imbalance. if this is the case then simply using an increased amount of plain water along with electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and pedialyte would be useful. if that does not help then using OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400-600 mg thrice daily would be helpful. If that does not hel[p then start applying OTC capsiacin gel on the area and get muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine.

Another cause of pain in this area can be either bursitis or tendonitis. Bursitis is inflammation of small fluid containing sacs inside the hip joint which can again be inflammed in teenagers who are active and this would be treated in much teh same manner as above. Severe cases may require steroid injections into the area. Similarly tendonitis can also cause this sort of pain and it is due to inflammation of the tendons of the area. Again same treatment is started for that as well.

I would suggest that you start the above modalities and see if that helps within the next 48 hours and if it does not contact your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.