Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Will secrition of acid cause stomach pain, 6 month, No i had…

Customer Question
Will secrition of acid...

Will secrition of acid cause stomach pain

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

6 month

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No i had back pain first but now stomach also paining

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

The answer is more complex than a simple yes or no.

The stomach is secreting acid every day in everybody, and it usually does not cause pain, because the stomach lining is generally protected against the acid. So, in the vast majority of people on the vast majority of days, the answer is no, secretion of acid does not cause stomach pain.

However, there are some people that develop acid irritation syndromes, such as an ulcer or gastritis. In most of these individuals, the problem is that the protection of the stomach lining has weakened, so that the usual amount of acid secretion will cause the acid irritation syndrome. However, in people with these conditions, the answer is yes, secretion of acid will cause stomach pain. There also is a much smaller group of people that secrete excessive amounts of stomach acid, called a hypersecretory state or Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. In these people the amount of acid is so great that the usual protection of the stomach lining is inadequate, and the high amount of acid secretion will cause ulcers or gastritis that is worse than the usual ulcers or gastritis. But in these individuals, the answer is also yes, acid secretion will cause stomach pain.

It is also worth noting that even in people with acid irritation syndrome, other factors may also determine whether there is pain. For example, many of these people find that eating a meal may ease the pain. The stomach is actually secreting more stomach acid with a meal, but the food buffers much of the acid. When the stomach is empty, the baseline secretion of acid is low, but since there is no food present to buffer the acid, there is more pain associated with that low level of acid secretion.

It is also worth noting that the pain from an acid irritation syndrome can be felt in the front or the back, or both.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

How to find that i have acid. Problem

To achieve a definitive diagnosis, the first step is to see if there is evidence of an acid irritation syndrome. The most common method is by an upper GI endoscopy, also called an esophagogastroduodenoscopu (or EGD), which is a long tube with a light and camera on the end that allows the doctor to see the inner lining of the stomach. It is also possible to perform a radiology test using barium to line the stomach. This test is good at detecting ulcers, but is not as good at detecting gastritis, which is why an endoscopy is more often done. But if someone prefers to avoid an endoscopy, the radiology test can be considered.

If the person has more severe disease, and the doctor is thinking that a hypersecretory state is present, then there is a blood test that can be done to measure the hormone that stimulates acid secretion.

It is also worth noting that another option is to try a medicine to suppress stomach acid. If someone has symptoms that are typical for an acid irritation syndrome, a trial of a medicine to suppress stomach acid can be used. If the medicine helps to get rid of the symptoms, that supports that there was some type of an acid irritation syndrome. This is not a definitive diagnosis, but if the symptoms resolve and remain gone, there is no need to pursue an endoscopy. Using this approach, an endoscopy would only be considered in someone with persistent or recurrent symptoms. If you wish to take this approach, there are several of these medicines available over the counter, such as ranitidine and omeprazole, and you can try one of these medicines.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor