Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Looking for a safe weight loss medication what do you

Customer Question
Looking for a safe...

Looking for a safe weight loss medication what do you recommend

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I am allergic to opiates, taking Crestor for high cholesterol

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No over all healthy having a hard time loosing weight

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/19/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Hi Dr phophalia

I will be able to post the answer in 2-3 minutes.

Following over the counter medications are suppose to be effective for the weight loss with the measures you must be already doing (exercises and dietary cautions);

1) Alli; it decreases fat absorption in the body.
2) Conjugated linoleic acid; it decreases body fat.

Weight loss pills usually work in following ways;

1) boosting the body's basal metabolic rate,
2) blocking the absorption of dietary fat,
3) suppressing appetite.

These are the other over the counter herbs / supplements which have some evidences of efficacy;

1) Green tea extract

2) Guar gum

3) Chitosan

4) Hoodia

5) Chromium

6) Bitter orange

There are prescription medications too which your doctor may recommend;

a) Phentermine is US Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved for short-term (up to 12 weeks) treatment of obesity and is the most widely prescribed weight-loss drug.

b) Diethylpropion

c) Benzphetamine and Phendimetrazine

d) Orlistat is currently available as a prescription drug (Xenical 120 mg) or an over-the-counter weight loss supplement (Alli 60 mg).

The weight loss pills can have some significant side effects in individuals and they can best be used as;

1) Adjunct to the other measures like diet and exercises.
2) They should be used as short term measures.

The weight loss management is a long term management as diabetes and high blood pressure so one need to take continuous precautions to continue weight loss and prevent weight gain (as you know). The treatment of obesity is built on the core pyramid of diet, exercise, and lifestyle change.Diet has always been central to the study of nutrition. So you should also consult a nutritional specialist and endocrinologist (if not yet done). Here is an article written by a doctor for treating his own obesity;

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/749483_4

Following measures also can help you in decreasing the weight;

1) Drinking 500 ml of water before every meal. This is achieved primarily through a water-induced increase in resting energy expenditure.

2) A sufficient amount of sleep and healthy sleep pattern is important to harness weight loss.

3) Fat substitutes;
a) Olestra (Olean) has been approved for use as a dietary supplement and additive in various foods, such as potato chips and crackers. Olestra has a calorie value of 0 kcal/g, whereas fat has a value of approximately 9.1 kcal/g.
b) Two margarines, Benecol and Take Control, block cholesterol absorption in the intestine and can lower total and LDL-cholesterol levels.

4) Other possibly beneficial agents, which may help in some individuals;
a) St. John's wort
b) Psyllium
c) Chromium
d) Ginseng
e) Axokine.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl