Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Shsrp, stabbing pain upper right abdomen. Also hear / feel…

Shsrp, stabbing pain upper...

Shsrp, stabbing pain upper right abdomen. Also hear / feel gurgling there too.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Very sharp for a few seconds, then gone. Happening off and on for couple of weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. I'm 57 year old guy in pretty good health

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Any change in your bowel movements and have you had any tests or studies to evaluate this?

Colonoscopy one year ago but not because of this pain. Pain just started. Colonoscopy was clear; repeat in three years....

OK

Obviously my first thought is your gall bladder and gall stones

The other possibility would be short bouts of irritable bowel syndrome

Even if it isn't too bothersome right now you need to have your doctor examine you and get an ultrasound of the abdomen to check for gall stones

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you so much. I'll follow up with my G.P. per your note.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you