Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr. Love ONLY, As you know I'm worried about wine intake and…

Customer Question
Dr. Love ONLY,As you know...
Dr. Love ONLY,As you know I'm worried about wine intake and estrogen level causing cancer cell divisions.I've just started thinking more about the actual alcohol than the phytoestrogens. I've found articles that suggest that alcohol may create estrogen by promoting aromatization. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11163119
I thought this was good since I take aromatase inhibitors, until it occurred to me that they might not be strong enough to handle 3-4 glasses on wine every night for a month. What do you think? I guess I hope they make the AI's pretty strong. I know this is only a theory, but I'm interested if you think that 3-4 glasses of wine could have all their extra aromatization "inhibited".There is an Elsevier article that I can't find right now that also suggests that an additional possibility is that the alcohol slows the clearance of estradiol. This would be good for me since I don't have much estradiol, right?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Here is the Elsevier article. It is almost the same.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0741832900001245?via%3Dihub
9/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

We are about to sit down to eat supper.

I will respond again to discuss these articles after supper, when I can read them and then type an answer.

You may have just started thinking more about the alcohol, but I have told you several times that the mechanism by which alcohol affects risk is not known, and have have discussed several possible mechanisms, including both hormonal and non-hormonal mechanisms.

This is also why I have also said on several occasions that the alcohol that you drink on vacation is not sufficient to significantly affect your risk by any mechanism.

However, to specifically address these links. These two are not almost the same; they are exactly the same. Both are an abstract for an article in the journal, Alcohol, from November 2000, Volume 22, Number 3, on pages 123-127. While aromatization is considered one of the possible mechanisms for the risk of alcohol intake, this article is actually not worrisome for you. The amount of alcohol intake in the studies referenced in the abstract are well above the amount of alcohol that you drink, even the amount that you drink on vacation.

However, if there is a minor effect on aromatization from smaller amounts of alcohol intake, then the AIs would typically offset the effect.

You are correct that you do not have estradiol, but the comment amount decreased clearance possibly being the cause of increased estradiol levels is postulated as an alternative mechanism to the increased aromatization, and theoretically could apply to any estrogen that is made by aromatization.

The reason that this article is good for you is that the effects that it references were only seen with alcohol intake that is higher than yours.

Now this question has shown up on the Question List again, but I copied and pasted the above response into the new thread.