Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having liquid stool when I pass gas, is this…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having liquid stool when I pass gas, is this normal?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

I have had a fever and been sick, but I had strep throat

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you have a cough?

About 5 days and yes I also have a hiatal hernia

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/18/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Any fever or abdominal pain?

I had a fever yesterday and the day before
a little bit of pain

Any relation to something you ate?

Not that I can think of

OK

This is probably a viral gastroenteritis and that usually runs its course in a week or so

For now I suggest oral probiotics, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice a day and some PeptoBismol

If it continues beyond ten days you need to see your doctor for a stool culture to check for E coli, salmonella or C diff since then you'd need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information