Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is local anethesia an option for seniors under going Lumbar…

Customer Question
Is local anethesia an...

Is local anethesia an option for seniors under going Lumbar lamenectomy surgery?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Have consulted with a neuro surgeon. Concerned about memory loss under 1.5 to 2 hr general anesthesia. I'm 93 years old

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Generaly in good health and active

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/18/2017
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Dear sir / madam, Yes sure, Performing spinal surgery under local anesthesia is a safe and effective alternative when patient's major comorbidities or serious adverse effects preclude a general anesthetic.

However spinal anaesthesia is much more commonly used then local. If spinal anesthesia is used, you will have no feeling from your waist down. Newer techniques are being developed that may allow a laminectomy to be done under local anesthesia on an outpatient basis but less commonly available.

I hope your query is adequately addressed.

Please do reward a credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating section of your page.

I am available for any further help in this regard.

Wishing you a healthy life.

Regards