Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was wondering what options I had to help minimize my

Customer Question
Hello. I was wondering...

Hello. I was wondering what options I had to help minimize my scarring for a third degree bien. Burn

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

None.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had a surgery in the past to help the movement on my arm, but the skin is getting hard again.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?

For about 18 years now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

The options are wound care and surgical intervention.

Have you seen a wound specialist?

No I have not. I have seen a plastic surgeon and dermatologists.

Then you have seen the correct doctors for minimization of scarring.

Is this an old wound?

How has it been treated?

What is the situation?

It is an old scar. I have had it for over 15 years. I have done one surgery because the skin was not stretching and causing movement issues with my shoulder.

What did the current plastic surgeon tell you?

Here are some pictures. The z scarring was made from the surgery. Laser, but I am not quite sure what type. He never specified. I tried going to health spa but nobody treats these types of scars. I am also having issues with my sling not stretching again. I just want to not worry about this anymore.

Laser can improve it about 50% would be my educated guess.

It is an old fixed scar.

It does not look amenable to surgical revision [too difuse].

I agree that laser is the best option.

A spa is not going to help.

Thinks you put on the skin can make it lighter, but pigmentation does not appear to be the problem.

Go back to the plastic surgeon.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the answer page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow