Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have an ongoing productive cough. Should I have surgery…

Customer Question
I have an ongoing...

I have an ongoing productive cough. Should I have surgery today?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

It's kind of chronic. I have weak lungs but have been signed off for surgery by my doctors. As of last week they said my lungs were clear. But I was having productive cough over the weekend.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had MS for many years and am bedridden and the surgery is for scraping bedsores and flap surgery

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/18/2017
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

If the cough is from infection, you should not have surgery unless it MUST be done, and unless your doctors know about the cough.

If it is elective surgery, it an be postponed.

We, however, can not make this decision with you, the surgeons need to know about this cough right away, they will have to alter the surgery schedule, which is a major undertaking.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the answer page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow