Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has diverticulitis he is on antibiotics but he…

Customer Question
My husband has diverticulitis...

My husband has diverticulitis he is on antibiotics but he has seen some brownish blood in his stool is that the antibiotics? he has till Tuesday to take the rest of them

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

He has COPD, neuropathy but ok other then that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so we are only concerned about the blood in his stool

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/18/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Brownish blood in the stool would be the same as any blood in the stool. The brownish discoloration would be from digested bile, which is the source of the brown color in any stool.

The blood in the stool is more likely due to the diverticulitis than the antibiotics. It is possible that antibiotics can cause certain infections that can lead to blood in the stool. Any antibiotic is oriented towards killing specific types of germs, but they can also lead to overgrowth of germs that are not covered by the antibiotics, and the most worrisome would be Clostridium difficile. An infection by Clostridium difficile can cause blood in the stool. But since he is already known to have an infection, the diverticulitis, it is more likely that the brown blood is due to the known infection.

However, if he is developing other worsening symptoms associated with the blood in the stool, particularly severe diarrhea, then it would be more worrisome that he may be developing another problem from the antibiotics, and it would be appropriate for him to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor