Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Three weeks after apparently uneventful surgical recovery…

Three weeks after apparently...

Three weeks after apparently uneventful surgical recovery from a laproscopic appendectomy I have a new soreness in the area of the appendix. Can infection take as long as three weeks to manifest?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No..... several meds for other chronic conditions: levothyroxin, pantoprazole carvidilol, simvastatin and avodart

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Newly allergic to amoxicilllin...

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I really do not think so....This surgery was necessitated by the accidental discovery of appendicitis after I reported to an ER with allergic reaction to amoxicillin. Blood count was 17's so PA ordered CAT scan and found the appendicitis...Surgery was laproscopic and recovery has been uneventful, other than a coincidental bout of bronchitis now on the wane...

9/17/2017
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

what does your surgeon say

distant emergency surgery-- have not talked with him or anyone else re: this...

OK.

Yes, you can have a post operative infection that smoulders and then manifests.

You need an exam now, maybe a CT scan to look./

It can also be scar tissue formation, but usually this would take longer.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

Just a preliminary question: Is it usually the case that infection takes three weeks to manifest in such a situation? or is it less likely? I will of course see dr. tomorrow if this persists.
Great! That's what I'll do.... thanks!

It is not uncommon, in fact.

Post surgical infection typically manifests anywhere up to 6 weeks after surgery.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician