Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a stroke 3 years ago, i have high blood pressure& take…

Customer Question
I had a stroke...

I had a stroke 3 years ago, i have high blood pressure& take a lot of meds for my blood presure. My question is I'm noticing swelling of my feet & ankles what is causing this

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I'm allergic to penicilin. Medications- ATORVASTATIN 80 MG,VALSARTAN 320 MG,ASPIRIN 81 MG, AMLODIPINE BESYLATE 5 MG, HYDRALAZINE 50 MG,LABETALOL 200 MG,BACLOFEN 10 MG

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

When i was younger i used to take medication for my allergies (bushes&weeds) i'm not sure if i have diabetes, but my father and maternal grandmother both had diabetes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Amlodipine is known to cause swelling in feet and ankles. Please see the reference;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/amlodipine-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20061784

More common

Swelling of the ankles or feet.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Can i do without the Amlodipine?

If the swelling is mild, you may not worry about it, as you may need to continue it.

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

I am sorry, I cannot phone you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl