Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is 89 her oxygen is reading 85 with oxygen? Should…

Customer Question
My mother is 89...

My mother is 89 her oxygen is reading 85 with oxygen? Should I be worried?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes thurs. HE SAID make sure the oxygen unit was set at 2, Done;

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Mother had knee replacement 8/23/2017. 2 wks in rehab and now rehabbing as out patient. She is blind and was losing all her bearings after being away from home for 16 days.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling, no sweating !

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im very sorry to hear about your mother. It sounds like that your mother has a chronic lung issue which is causing her oxygen levels to remain low. Given that your doctor has advised a low flow of oxygen, it is likely that she may have some element of COPD or chronic heart failure which is causing her oxygen levels to stay so low. Now in situations like this, the first goal of oxygen therapy is to maintain the oxygen levels in the body to above 88%, this means that her oxygen flow may need to be increased slightly to 3 L/min or even 4 L/min until her oxygen saturation comes up to 88% or higher. Once they are being maintained at 88% then her oxygen flow can be brought down slowly back to 2 L/min4.

The more concerning thing is the drop of her levels, usually this would occur if the her undelrying condition has worsened which could be due to the disease itself worsening or due to a minor infection which is common in these sort of patients. In case of infections, there may not be a fever or any of the other typical symptoms especially in patients above the age of 65 as their immune systems have weakened so much that a fever cannot be mounted in response to an infection.

If your mother also has shortness of breath or feels worse in anyway or has a cough then she should be evaluated again at your doctors office, given her recent stay in the hospital and rehab facility, it is possible that she may have acquired an infection from those locations which is common. This could result in pneumonias which start off as mild in nature and later on get worse, this is why i would recommend that you DO have her evaluated as soon as possible with the help of a clinical examination, a chest xray and possibly get her started on antibiotics. A oxygen level of 85% WITH oxygen is concerning and does need to be investigated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Should I elevate her head?

Yes, keep her head elevated as that will help her breathe, DONT lie her down flat, keep her on oxygen therapy.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor