Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was taking doxycycline and now I have lactose

Customer Question
Hi, I was taking...

Hi, I was taking doxycycline and now I have lactose intolerant... what can I do to fix it?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No, anytime I eat any dairy I get sick. Either thro up, diarrhea or stomach pain for hours.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Since I took the antibiotics about two months ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have no spleen, or gallbladder. But have had no issues with either being gone.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok
It's been over 4-5 minutes

Secondary, or acquired, lactase deficiency may develop in the healthy small intestine during episodes of acute illness. This occurs because of internal lining (mucosal) damage or from medications.

Following measures are advised;

1) Calcium supplements

2) Avoid bread, candies, margarine, salad dressings which have hidden lactose.

3) Lactase enzyme preparations (Lactaid) reduce the symptoms.

4) Soy milk may be tolerated.

5) Some people may tolerate even yogurt.

Many times, medication induced internal lining damage may revert back to normal.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Is this a common problem with this antibiotic or all antibiotics? I've taken several over my almost 40 years of life and NEVER had this problem.

This is not uncommon problem and occur in almost 2-4% of population because of antibiotics or other medications.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Sorry, this was posted here, instead of another question thread.

I apologize.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor