Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Just got back from the ER. My husband had a cat scan done…

Just got back from...

Just got back from the ER. My husband had a cat scan done for back pain. He has a strained muscle but my huge concern is they saw a mass on his bladder. I am so scared. Besides cancer, what else could it be?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No. Just found out a few hrs ago.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has diabetes 2 and takes two insulin shots a day (in his belly) No previous surgeries or health issues. He just turned 60. His dad died of a heart attack at 58 and his mom died of natural causes (she was an alcoholic.

9/17/2017
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

I am sorry that the two of you are going through this. I know that this can be very scary until a definite diagnosis is made.

There are several benign tumors that can arise in the urinary bladder. The most common is a papilloma, which is a benign growth of the cells that line the bladder. It is also possible to get benign growths of the muscle layer of the bladder, called a leiomyoma. (A leiomyoma is the generic term for any benign tumor that arises out of the muscle layer of an internal organ, including uterine fibroids, and since many women have had to deal with fibroids, you may have heard the term used in a different context.) Less common benign tumors include fibromas, neurofibromas, lipomas, or hemangiomas. All of these types of tumors can arise in many places in the body, since they arise from tissue that exist in any organ.

In some men, the prostate may also get so big that it may appear like a bladder tumor on imaging studies.

As you were likely told, the diagnosis is made by looking into the bladder.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Thank you!!!!

You are very welcome.

If we are done, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Ok
Dr. D. Love, Doctor