Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 63 my upper back of my legs are soar and i feel tired…

Customer Question
I am 63 my...

I am 63 my upper back of my legs are soar and i feel tired all the time

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

I have a little swelling in my feet but it go away at night

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I think i have high blood pressure

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have knee, hip or back pain?

Are you diabetic?

Were any investigations done?

i have back pain but it come and go
can't afford to call
i think that it back of my legs hurt lower back pain and tired a ll the time

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

Chronic tiredness can have following possibilities of causes;

Thyroid disease

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Neoplastic disease

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

You would need following investigations:

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

For your back pain, hurting legs and swelling; physical therapy, deep electrotherapy and acupuncture would be recommended.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Back care in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important thing which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activity helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities which increases the pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided till pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics and muscle relaxants

You can start the following exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed / couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one sets of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/back-pain/LB00001_D

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl