Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband slipped and fell tonight down 4 stairs that come…

Customer Question
My husband slipped and...

My husband slipped and fell tonight down 4 stairs that come from our kitchen area into the great room. He has pain on the left side of his back when he walks or moves to much. I gave him 2 Advil and put ice on it. He's lying on the couch and it's not hurting unless he moves to much. Think he's ok? He doesn't want to go anywhere tonight

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Only the fall tonight no other recent injuries.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has an aneurysm it's being watched 67 years old.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/17/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

This does not sound like something that needs to be checked emergently tonight. As long as the pain is controlled with rest, ice, and Advil/ibuprofen, then he does not need to be checked tonight. This is most likely a minor injury, such as a muscle strain or a deep bruise, and both of these problems will typically improve using home conservative management such as you have started.

The only reason that he should be seen emergently tonight would be if the pain gets more severe and is unable to be controlled or if he starts to develop any neurologic symptoms, such as weakness or numbness in the legs. As long as the pain is not severe or these other symptoms develop, it is fine to try home management for several days to see if the problem resolves spontaneously.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. If I have answered your question, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.