Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I work in a medical lab. I was working under a Hepa class II…

Customer Question
I work in a medical...
I work in a medical lab. I was working under a Hepa class II biological cabinet when i got a blood splash ( i think or where else could it have been coming from) in my eye. I felt something liquidy got in my eye
I was working with bone marrow sample.
I washed my eye first for like 2-3 minutes then told my employer and i was told to go to a nearest walk in clinic.
What is the protocol from here on out? What are the risks related to eye splash?
I did not wear safety goggles. I have hepatitis B vaccine already and i am immune
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician and I am happy to help you. Protocol should involve assessing risk for infectious disease. Are you able to find out if the patient who's sample of bone marrow you were exposed to had any infectious diseases? Particularly hepatitis B, C and HIV?
No all the history is NHL but the old age of the patient makes it pretty unlikely for communicable disease. I guess we will have to inquire with the treating physician
Ok. Every institution has varying protocols concerning blood exposure. Usually they involve the option of testing yourself for hepatitis B and C viruses as well as HIV after a certain time period. Depending on the risk level, some places offer prophylactic medications for HIV. Here is a helpful link to a PDF handout from the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/HAI/pdfs/bbp/Exp_to_Blood.pdfDo you have any other questions or concerns I can help with?
If I've addressed your question and you are satisfied, please click the button to accept the answer. I would also appreciate the kindness of a positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD