Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has had an allergic reaction to some dye he used on…

Customer Question
My son has had...

My son has had an allergic reaction to some dye he used on his moustache 2 days ago

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Just a very raised and puffy red rash on his upper lip that is itchy. It looks very sore

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?

I'm just wondering if I should take him to the emergency dept

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No nothing. He is a healthy 16yr old. Although he does have cystic acne

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Ok I'll just get one. Hold on

Sure

It won't let me send it

Try using the paper clip icon on this page to upload it

Ok I did that. Did you get it?

Got it--thanks

Has he tried anything to treat this?

No only put some cold packs on but it didn't help

Well it's definitely a contact dermatitis/allergic reaction situation

Nothing too serious though

I'd suggest oral benadryl or Claritin and topical Caladryl lotion for now

That should let it clear in a day or two

But if that doesn't help he'll need a short course of prescription prednisone

There won't be any scarring from this if you were worried about that

Please let me know if you need any more information

Ok thank you

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you